Making Peace Vigil

Standing up for peace

HOMELESS IN REGINA

Posted by strattof on March 10, 2011

Regina has one of the lowest apartment vacancy rates in Canada. In October 2010, it was 1%, well under a 3% rate that is considered reasonable. As a result, rental accommodation is very difficult to find in Regina.  

Nor is Regina any longer a cheap place to live. In the last decade, house prices have risen more rapidly than in any other city in Canada. Rents too have increased at a rapid rate. Between April 2009 and April 2010, Regina had the largest rent increases in Canada.  

It’s often families with young children, single mothers, and those trying to get a foothold in the job market who find themselves without a home in Regina.    

Few homeless people in Regina live on the streets or in parks. Instead, they couch surf, double up, live in overcrowded conditions, or squat in abandoned buildings. Some even live in tents, garages, and cars. 

HOMELESSNESS IN REGINA: 7 MORE KEY FACTS

 1.      In 2009, an average of 267 people stayed in homeless shelters or transitional housing each night in Regina. Many more resorted to couch surfing or doubling up in over-crowded and  unhealthy conditions.

 2.      From October 2006 to October 2010, the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Regina increased by 43%, going from $559 to $802 a month.

 3.      At that rate, a single person on social assistance would be required to spend 97% of their monthly income on rent, leaving only 3% to cover food, transportation, and other monthly expenses.

 4.      Minimum wage earners working full time would be required to spend 73% of their monthly income on shelter and food.

5.      In 2006, 15,600 households in Regina spent 30% or more of their income on shelter–a level that indicates unaffordability. That’s 41% of tenant households. The percentage would be much higher today.

6.      The face of homelessness in Regina is very diverse. Homeless people include ●children ●single mothers ●single women ●single men ●seniors on fixed income ●families ●adults working minimum wage jobs ●women fleeing abuse ●young people who cannot get a foothold in the job market ●individuals with mental health issues ●those struggling to overcome addiction. The homeless could be a relative or a friend. They could be you or me.

7.      A recent Salvation Army survey reported that one in five Saskatchewan adults has come close to or has actually experienced homelessness at some time in his/her life.

HELP END HOMELESSNESS IN REGINA

COME TO A DEMONSTRATION FOR RENT CONTROL AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING

LEGISLATIVE BUILDING, MARCH 15 10 am TO 12:30 pm

Has your rent gone up recently? Get the facts:

  • The majority of Canada has rent control: BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and PEI.
  • So, why doesn’t Saskatchewan?

Support yourself and your fellow citizens. Housing affects us all!

Sponsored by All Peoples’ Housing and the University of Regina Social Work Student Society

LET PREMIER BRAD WALL KNOW YOU WANT THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT

  • To pass rent control legislation
  • To invest in affordable housing

                  premier@gov.sk.ca or 787-0958

SEND THE SAME MESSAGE TO YOUR MLA

Ron Harper, Regina Northeast: rharper@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-1887

Bill Hutchinson, Regina South: bhutchinson@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-4983

Dwain. Lingenfelter, Douglas Park: dlingenfelter@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-7388

Warren McCall, Regina Elphinstone: wmccall@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-8276

Sandra Morin, Regina Walsh Acres: smorin@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-6309

John Nilson, Regina Lakeview: jnilson@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-0939

Laura Ross, Regina Qu’Appelle Valley: lross@mla.legassembly.sk.ca  or 787-0942

Christine Tell, Regina Wascana Plains: ctell@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 7874300

Kim Trew, Regina Coronation Park: ktrew@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-1898

Trent Wotherspoon, Rosemont: twotherspoon@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-0077

Kevin Yates, Regina Dewdney: kyates@mla.legassembly.sk.ca or 787-0635

If you want to send your message by regular mail, the Premier and MLAs can all be reached at: Legislative Building, Regina S4S 0B3.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: